This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another PA Overtime Question...

I am currently employed in the mental health field, working in a group home. My shift is from 11pm to 7am 5 days a week. If someone from the 7am to 3pm shift calls in sick, my employer MANDATES that I stay and work the shift. I am wondering if this is legal? Can an employer make it mandatory to work overtime.

Side note:
    I have kids at home and sleep when they are at school during the day, that is why I chose 3rd shift. Now I would have to go home, get some sleep and return to work that evening. I have nobody available to watch my kids after 3pm so I can get some sleep, and to me this jeopardizes the patients I work with. My employer seems unconcerned about this. Any information would be a great help!

We answer this question just about every day too. Yes, mandatory overtime is legal in all 50 states with some VERY limited, industry specific exceptions.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X