This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Vacation Time

My wife recently signed a contract with a PA TV station, allowing her only 3 paid vacation days per year. Since then, she's found that others have negotiated a week's vacation in the otherwise similar contract.

She's up for her 90 day review soon and wanted to re-negotiate her contract.

Other than appealing to her boss's sense of morality, humanity, and equality, does she have any other recourse here? I would like for her to have as much in her back pocket as possible for this negotiation.

Three days of paid vacation may not be illegal, but in my opintion, it certainly should be.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Originally posted by Feltes
    My wife recently signed a contract with a PA TV station, allowing her only 3 paid vacation days per year. Since then, she's found that others have negotiated a week's vacation in the otherwise similar contract.

She's up for her 90 day review soon and wanted to re-negotiate her contract.

Other than appealing to her boss's sense of morality, humanity, and equality, does she have any other recourse here? I would like for her to have as much in her back pocket as possible for this negotiation.

Three days of paid vacation may not be illegal, but in my opintion, it certainly should be.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
    She can certainly try and re-negotiatem, but she shouldn't count on anything positive coming out of it. She doesn't have any recourse at all as vacation as it is not required under the law, state or federal except for Hawaii. As for your opinion, not to sound rude, but it doesn't matter unless you want to voice to your elected representative and they truly listen.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

We don't expect anything positive to come from asking for more vacation time, but feel it's worth a shot. Do you feel we should expect anything negative?

What about unpaid leave? Are there any laws regarding that? For example, if she only gets 2 sick days, and 3 personal days, what happens if she gets very ill for 2 weeks? Or has surgery or something? Can they legally fire her?

Not to sound rude, but would you care to share your legal credentials?

Comment

It is very difficult to comment without reading the terms of the contract because it is those terms that will dictate much, if not all, of the employment relationship. What is the duration of this contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Feltes
          We don't expect anything positive to come from asking for more vacation time, but feel it's worth a shot. Do you feel we should expect anything negative?

What about unpaid leave? Are there any laws regarding that? For example, if she only gets 2 sick days, and 3 personal days, what happens if she gets very ill for 2 weeks? Or has surgery or something? Can they legally fire her?

Not to sound rude, but would you care to share your legal credentials?
          There are not any laws in PA that dictate sick, personal or vacation. I am not an attorney, but an HR professional, degreed in HR and with 21 years of experience in every aspect of Human Resources.
          Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by rjc
            It is very difficult to comment without reading the terms of the contract because it is those terms that will dictate much, if not all, of the employment relationship. What is the duration of this contract?
            The contract is 2 years. Perhaps I can have someone in my HR department look at it. I do know someone that might do it as a favor.

Comment

Working...
            X