This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• national holiday pay taken away

i work for a company in oregan on night shift i work 4 nights a week monday to thursday nights on the 24 th of may 2005 before the shift we where told if we dont do any overtime on friday the 27th we would lose our memorial day pay i saw this as a threat so i dident go in for overtime on the friday and i lost my memorial day pay to me memorial day is a notional holiday throughout the country. i know fora fact that the day shift had the same threat and the workers got mad so the managment lifted the threat for the day shift but nott for the night shift is there anything that can be done about this cause to me it looks like the company is bullying the workers please feel free to e mail me if there is any action i can take

There is no legal requirement that employees in the private sector be paid for any holiday. Federal holidays are for Federal employees. If your employer wants to offer a paid holiday, great, but there is no legal requirement that they do so.

While I agree that it was unfair for them to offer holiday pay to the day shift but not the night shift, it was not illegal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X