Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overtime for non-flat rate automotive techs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime for non-flat rate automotive techs?

I've worked at an auto repair shop for the past several years. This is a general repair/aftermarket shop and is in no way a dealership. We are all paid hourly. The employer has said he does not pay overtime. I could see that if we were paid on the flat rate system, this would be the norm. Since we are paid hourly, is this legal?

http://www.overtime-flsa.com/auto-me...-overtime-pay/

You should have furnished the name of the state where you work.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      http://www.overtime-flsa.com/auto-me...-overtime-pay/

You should have furnished the name of the state where you work.
      Apologies, I assumed I didn't need to due to this being the "Oregon labor laws" section, but yeah, it's Oregon.

And thanks for the link. I think I've seen that before, but I'm not sure that it relates to us. We are only paid a straight hourly wage just as if working in fast food, etc.. No commission on anything whatsoever. It seems to me that we should qualify for overtime.
      Last edited by AutoTech23; 10-04-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry. I didn't note the forum you posted in. It "seems" like you should be paid OT. Maybe one of the payroll people will come along & verify that.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          I'm sorry. I didn't note the forum you posted in. It "seems" like you should be paid OT. Maybe one of the payroll people will come along & verify that.
          I'm thinking the same, but can't find a concrete answer.

Comment

Fast food is normally subject to overtime. As are auto repair employees. Using a flat rate would not change this. Now this is per federal law (FLSA). OR is not my state and I cannot address OR specific rules (if any).
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thank you, DAW.

Comment

Working...
              X