This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Meetings? Oregon

My boss is requiring all staff to attend a "mandatory" meeting. The meeting will be at 2:30pm. The problem, we are a 24 hour facility so those of us that work the night shift are right in the middle of our "night" at 2:30pm. Is it legal for her to require this? Any normal employer wouldn't ask their employees to come to a 2:30AM meeting...! ARRR We're all a little miffed by this.

Thanks for any help!

It's not illegal to have mandatory meetings and, in a 24-hour facility, any time chosen will be inconvenient for someone.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

"in a 24-hour facility, any time chosen will be inconvenient for someone. "

Exactly! I thought there was a law about making mandatory meetings available at different times throughout the day...like one in the am (between night and day) and one in the afternoon or eve (between day and eve or eve and night) that way there is a reasonable hour for all to attend.

I work the night before and the night of this meeting. Along with 2 of my other co-workers. This means I have to go home in that morning, sleep for maybe 3hrs, get up for this meeting (be up for 3hrs) maybe get back to sleep by 4pm and be back up to get to work on time at 11pm. How is that fair or right? And what kind of quality care will we be expected to give our pts??

It seems like there must be some kind of law somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by calidolphin View Post
        "in a 24-hour facility, any time chosen will be inconvenient for someone. "

Exactly! I thought there was a law about making mandatory meetings available at different times throughout the day...like one in the am (between night and day) and one in the afternoon or eve (between day and eve or eve and night) that way there is a reasonable hour for all to attend.

I work the night before and the night of this meeting. Along with 2 of my other co-workers. This means I have to go home in that morning, sleep for maybe 3hrs, get up for this meeting (be up for 3hrs) maybe get back to sleep by 4pm and be back up to get to work on time at 11pm. How is that fair or right? And what kind of quality care will we be expected to give our pts??

It seems like there must be some kind of law somewhere...
        Nope, there isn't.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Many employers with 24 hours facilities manage mandatory meetings this way, with multiple times, but there is no law that says they must. At least, there is no employment law that says they must. Do you have a contract or CBA that requires this?

You might check with the agency that licenses your type of facility to see if there is an industry specific law, but there is no such general law.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X