This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paychecks are void adn over a year old, can i still collect? Oregon

I have 2 paychecks that were never cashed and the checks became void @ 6 months.....it's been over a year now, can i still demand my pay????

p.s. I am no longer employed with the company and have the original paychecks!

thanks
    Last edited by skitycat; 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM.

At some point, companies must turn over the net pay for uncashed paychecks to the state (it is called "escheat"). You can then get your money from the state.

Call the company about the net pay you are owed and find out if they have already sent the money to the state as required by state law (not likely after only one year, depending upon the state). If not, have them send you a check for the net amount of the checks you have in hand. Send them the old checks.

If they have sent the money to the state, that is where you go to get your pay.

If the company won't talk to you about the problem or says it has not sent the money to the state and WON'T send it to you, call your state Department of Labor or equivalent.

This issue is a problem for us. We reconcile our paycheck account on a weekly basis and hound employees with uncashed paychecks more than a month old.
    Last edited by ScottB; 07-07-2008, 12:10 PM.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Three years for the company to turn over the funds.

http://http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/098.html

Call the company. Turn over the uncashed checks. Get paid,
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
      X