This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdrawal from checks for mistakes: Oregon

I am an employee at a fast food franchise, and I recently made a mistake...

I forgot to have a customer sign a credit card receipt that totaled $30. (Our policy is to have any receipt over $25 signed by the customer.) My manager told me that I have to sign the receipt, and that the $30 is going to be taken out of my next paycheck.

The owners of the store customarily threaten to take money from our paychecks for any mistake we make -- even if it's trivial or innocent. I have a suspicion that this is illegal.

Can they legally withdraw money from employees' paychecks for mistakes?

And also, I have heard that businesses get the money from credit/debit transactions regardless of whether or not the receipts have customer signatures. Is this true or not?

I have no idea whether credit card companies reimburse merchants for unsigned credit card slips. However, that is irrelevant.

Here is the law in Oregon regarding deductions from paychecks:

http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/TA/...Tadeduc2.shtml

And in English:
    http://www.boli.state.or.us/BOLI/TA/...Tadeduct.shtml

They can threaten all they want; it's not a violation of the law until they follow through. However, once it is actually deducted from your pay, you can file a claim with the BOLI.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

BTW, you can legally be fired for forgetting to have the customer sign the slip. Whether the store gets paid for it or not.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X