This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traveling out of state Oregon

I am a store manager and I am responsible for picking up four other managers and driving to Seattle for meetings at least once a month. I must leave at 4:00 a.m. pick up all other managers and get to the meeting in Seattle by 8:00 a.m. The meetings are usually over by 4:00p.m. I arrive home by 8:00 or 8:30 p.m. Is this legal for them to make me travel so much and spend all day in a meeting without providing a hotel. Also do I still have to count that as an 8 hour day and work my other 32 hours in the store since I am on Salary. Any help would be great.

"Salary" per se is just a payment basis and does not mean much by itself. "Salaried Exempt" employees never have a legal expectation of additional pay, no matter how many hours they work. "Salaried Non-Exempt" employees must be paid overtime for hours worked past 40 in the work week, the same as any other Non-Exempt employee.

Either way, most employers can generally make most employees work pretty much any hours the employer wants.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

that long of a drive.

Still , is driving that much allowed or is there no law for that.

Comment

If you were a long haul trucker, you might have an issue, but you are not. For labor law purposes only, there is no legal difference between an hour spent driving and an hour spent doing something else. Many sales people or local delivery drivers actually spend a lot more time driving then you describe and the law does not have a problem with that either. Having you work 16 hour days (or longer) in your store would be also be legal.

I am not saying this is a good idea, but I am saying that what you describe is not against the law, and if you are Exempt Salaried you are never legally due more money past your salary based on labor law.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X