This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possibly fired for unknown scheduled shift Oregon

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help me on this. I work in a coffee shop/market at a university, unemployed by the university, but employed by another company. Here is my situation:

I live in Forest Grove, Oregon.
    Thursday night I worked till midnight, the schedule up till that time was having me off for the weekend, so once I finished my thursday evening shift, I would be off till Monday.
    One of the supervisors altered the schedule to have me work friday evening and saturday evening, without notifying me at all. They changed the schedule either later thursday or friday morning.
    I found out Saturday morning I was supposed to work friday and saturday. So I apologized to a different supervisor for not being there on friday and showed up for my saturday shift. Then I was sent home and told to talk to the main supervisor on monday. Apparently, as far as they are concerned, I'm fired.
    I was never given notice in any form that a change was made to the schedule. No one called me. No one sent me an email, nothing. Is this legal? From what I understand, they have to give a formal call if changing a schedule to make sure everyone knows they are supposed to work. Right? Who is right and who is wrong? Is there a law against this? If there is, can anyone give me documentation? Thank you all.

Chris

Oregon is an at-will employment state & you can be terminated at any time for any reason except a reason protected by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless there is a bona fide employment contract or CBA to the contrary. It's just like you could have quit your job at any time for any reason.

It falls under unfair but not illegal. Sorry.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

There is no law in any state that requires an employer to make formal calls regarding schedule changes. It would certainly be courteous of an employer to do so and I do not understand holding an employee responsible if the employer does not do so, but since no law says they cannot, they can.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

It is stupid to fire a productive employee for not showing up when the company made the change without notifying the employee. Posting a changed schedule after the employee has left and not expected to return for several days does not count as notification.

If stupid equalled illegal, though, there would have to be a whole lot more space in prisons.

If you are fired, file for unemployment immediately. The company is going to have a very difficult time proving misconduct in this case.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Working...
        X