This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling and classes - Oregon

If a person is in post-secondary education or is taking court-ordered classes (Such as a safe driving class), is it legal for an employer to schedule them either during their classes or at a time where it is literally impossible to show up on work on time (Such as the exact time that class ends)? Note that the employees have made the employer well-aware of their situation.

My employer has done this multiple times with several fellow employees and while he doesn't reprimand them for being late, it does put the rest of us in a tight spot because we either have to adjust the schedule or leave ourselves short-handed for up to half an hour.

Regardless of whether the employer is aware of the class schedule or not, no law limits the employer on how to schedule the employee. He has no legal obligation to work around classes, regardless of educational level and regardless of whether it is court ordered or not.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, no obligation to work around a court-ordered class?

That's something the employee really has no say in. I mean, I knew labor laws usually work in favor of the employer but if you ignore something like that, generally the employee has bigger problems and they become the employer's problems when, say, the employee is arrested.

Oh, well. Shame on me for trying to find legally-enforced common courtesy.

Comment

That's right. There is no law that says if an employee is court ordered to take a particular class, the employer has to give him time off for it or schedule his hours around it.

There are no laws mandating how an employer schedule his employees, period.

I'm not saying I agree with an employer not being flexible in this matter, but the fact of the matter is that it's the employee's problem, not the employers. The employee's personal conflicts (and that includes court ordered classes) are not the employer's concern.

The only exceptions I can think of are for jury duty and, in some states, voting. An employee must be given time off for jury duty and in some states must be given time off to vote. But those are civil rights/responsibilities. Further education is an employee's choice; court ordered classes may not be the employee's choice but the actions that led to the court ordered classes were. They are not the responsibility of the employer to work around.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

BTW, many states allow online "safe driving courses" to meet the requirement. That you can do at any time.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It would be different if the court ordered classes included a class time and date that must be attended. They do not.

All the court ordered classes have in way of restriction is the date by which that class must be completed. Classes are held in a number of places at a number of times. It is the employee's responsibility to plan around work.

Now, if the employee has waited until the end of the court ordered compliance period and is, therefore, limited by the number of classes that can be attended.... it is STILL not the employers problem.
            Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
            X