This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick time what is considered Excessive Oregon

I am curious what Oregon considers excessive sick time versus acceptable. In some workplaces a person gains approximately 6 to 8 hours per month in sick time.

If I take one day off a month each month is this considered excessive?

Originally posted by amrie View Post
    I am curious what Oregon considers excessive sick time versus acceptable. In some workplaces a person gains approximately 6 to 8 hours per month in sick time.

Yes, it could be, it is up to the employer, what they allow, my work place, states, they will fire you, if you have more than 6 sick times (not days, so you could be sick for 2 days, and it only counts as 1 sick time), per year. I am not aware, of any state laws, that state, you are legally allowed any sick days at all?

Comment

Originally posted by amrie View Post
      Twelve sick days a year would be very generous of the employer and will allow employees who really need the time to be out for an extended period without loss of pay. It also allows some employees who treat sick time as vacation time to abuse the employer.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

There is no law one way or the other. We earn one sick day per month at my current employer. However, that is quite generous. And, if I had an employee who was out sick one day per month, I would consider that excessive; based on the average work days in a year of 260, that's nearly 5% of work days missed.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Essentially, what is considered excessive sick time is up to your employer.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X