This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Against Company Policy?? Oregon

A few months ago, I was an hourly employee for a company that I've been with about two years.

A management job came open that I was qualified for so I applied. The new job is two salary grade levels above my hourly position. I was told that I got the job, but they were going to have to give me a promotion into the position directly above mine for two months and then promote me again into the position I had applied for, since policy states that you cannot 'jump' over a salary level. Both of the next level positions are salary based with a bonus structure for departmental performance.

When I received the offer letter for the first promotion, it was actually a small pay decrease compared to what I was making before, but there was a larger bonus structure and it was only temporary, so I took it.

The second offer letter offered me a raise based on the salary I received in the first offer letter, but still kind of low compared to the hourly job. I was told that the bonus plan was very achievable and would make up the difference so I signed that one also.

Now that I am in my management job, I have found that due to circumstances beyond the company's control, 60-80% of my bonus potential is out of my reach.

I found a written company policy that refers to an exact percentage raise the every employee is supposed to get when he/she is promoted through a salary level. I was not given the correct percentage either time. In fact my first promotion offered a decrease in my base pay.

When I called HR to tell them that company policy was not followed during either of my promotions, they just said I signed off on the offer letter so it is a done deal.

I know I signed the letters, but I was under the false impression that I could actually earn a decent bonus to help make up for a smaller salary than I expected. Also, since the policy states what is guaranteed to an employee when he/she is promoted to the next salary grade, don't I have some recourse. I moved through 2 salary levels and received less of a raise than was guaranteed for a promotion through 1? This is a large public corporation, but my local office is in Oregon.

Thanks
    Last edited by GTUCKER; 09-09-2006, 01:34 PM.

I don't see anything unlawful in your post. The pay you received and agreed to is what you are being paid. The fact that you feel mislead by the pay structure and bonus potential doesn't negate the offer that was made and accepted by you. If you are employed under a collective bargaining agreement, I'd suggest speaking with your union rep. You may have recourse via the grievance process. If this is not the case, I'm sorry to say that I believe you may be out of luck.

Comment

Working...
    X