X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nurse friend
    started a topic hotile work enviroment Oregon

hotile work enviroment Oregon

I'm a nurse manager of a L&D department. Last week one the physician stood in the middle of the nurses station with 6 other staff nurses present and began yelling at me with profanity to do something. I replied in a very calm manner that an assessment of the patient needed to take place first. the physican again yelled at me to do what she said.

I have taken this to the Hr director and up the chain of command with the phsyicians. Ifeel that nothing will come of this. Should I seek a lawyer?

• losbozos
    replied
    Hostile Work Environment/HealthCare

I know your post is a bit old, but the Joint Commission has issued a sentinel alert on "Behaviors that undermine a culture of safety". You can go to their web site and it clearly lays out the reasons and expectations. Not only is physician to nurse behavior addressed but nurse to nurse hostility (aka lateral violence) will no longer be tolerated. I hope it can be enforced/

Leave a comment:

• nurse friend
    replied
    Thanks for your advise. I will continue to be the professional and keep a paper trail and submit through the chain of command.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    There's no point to it. The term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning under the law and what you describe does not meet it.

The doctor's behavior may have been unprofessional but he did not violate any laws; there is no legal recourse regardless of whether HR takes any action or not (BTW, they are not required by law to tell you what action they take if they do, or even tell you THAT they took action) so hiring a lawyer would be a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X