This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former employer - traffic fines.

I started working for a Oklahoma based company last November of 2012 that does over the road sandblasting. The requirements i was told was decent physical condition and a basic valid drivers license. We drove company vehicles from job to job throughout the states pulling trailers, usually consisting smaller trailers and 1/4 to 1/2 trucks. We were working a job in Arizona and on our way to Colorado, we decided to make a pit stop in Las Vegas for the night, we drove up there had our fun and the next day began our journey to Colorado.. A few miles out of town i get pulled over by a state trooper/DOT officer. He begins questioning me, and my passengers a hour later we are being weighed. Since we were a interstate commerce and over the 10,000 lb weight GVRW (weighing total 16400lb gross vehicle weight) i was classified as a commercial vehicle. After being classified as a commercial vehicle the officer found 7 violations...

1: no prior trip permit for the state of nevada
    2: no record of recent physical for the driver
    3: no fire extinguisher
    4: no safety triangles (3 required)
    5: non functioning break-away device for trailer
    6: no log book
    7: no DOT number on side of truck with company logo

He only ticketed me for 1, 5, and 6. I was driving a 2006 1500 with a small dual axle trailer with our 3000lb air compressor. He stated after we get a log book and the break-away fixed we would be able to leave and until those are fixed we were out of service. My supervisor was in his truck infront of us when this happened since we take 2-3 company vehicles at a time. He turned around and came back when all was said and done, bought two log books one for the truck i was driving and his and we proceeded to go get the break-away device fixed. He told me not to worry that the company would resolve the tickets and assist me in any way possible.

After about 3 weeks of calling they finally entered my tickets into the Las Vegas Court House system and i told my boss and he said just give him the ticket he would handle it. I said ok, gave him the ticket and continued to work. Since that time we came in off the road and had 3 weeks off, with one job left in the season since it's a seasonal job i decided to start looking for alternative work. Found another job and in the meantime have been bugging them about getting those tickets taken care of. Well now they won't answer my calls or texts and i have been very restless thinking they are not going to be helping me with my fines and i have to respond with something by june 6th.

Is there some kinda law or anything to help me since i wasn't aware and it should have been their responsibility to keep track of the state law and regulations that we drove through to the least since i was driving a company vehicle. I really don't want these tickets on my record because i don't feel like it's my fault..

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by dsun View Post
    I started working for a Oklahoma based company last November of 2012 that does over the road sandblasting. The requirements i was told was decent physical condition and a basic valid drivers license. We drove company vehicles from job to job throughout the states pulling trailers, usually consisting smaller trailers and 1/4 to 1/2 trucks. We were working a job in Arizona and on our way to Colorado, we decided to make a pit stop in Las Vegas for the night, we drove up there had our fun and the next day began our journey to Colorado.. A few miles out of town i get pulled over by a state trooper/DOT officer. He begins questioning me, and my passengers a hour later we are being weighed. Since we were a interstate commerce and over the 10,000 lb weight GVRW (weighing total 16400lb gross vehicle weight) i was classified as a commercial vehicle. After being classified as a commercial vehicle the officer found 7 violations...

1: no prior trip permit for the state of nevada
    2: no record of recent physical for the driver
    3: no fire extinguisher
    4: no safety triangles (3 required)
    5: non functioning break-away device for trailer
    6: no log book
    7: no DOT number on side of truck with company logo

He only ticketed me for 1, 5, and 6. I was driving a 2006 1500 with a small dual axle trailer with our 3000lb air compressor. He stated after we get a log book and the break-away fixed we would be able to leave and until those are fixed we were out of service. My supervisor was in his truck infront of us when this happened since we take 2-3 company vehicles at a time. He turned around and came back when all was said and done, bought two log books one for the truck i was driving and his and we proceeded to go get the break-away device fixed. He told me not to worry that the company would resolve the tickets and assist me in any way possible.

After about 3 weeks of calling they finally entered my tickets into the Las Vegas Court House system and i told my boss and he said just give him the ticket he would handle it. I said ok, gave him the ticket and continued to work. Since that time we came in off the road and had 3 weeks off, with one job left in the season since it's a seasonal job i decided to start looking for alternative work. Found another job and in the meantime have been bugging them about getting those tickets taken care of. Well now they won't answer my calls or texts and i have been very restless thinking they are not going to be helping me with my fines and i have to respond with something by june 6th.

Is there some kinda law or anything to help me since i wasn't aware and it should have been their responsibility to keep track of the state law and regulations that we drove through to the least since i was driving a company vehicle. I really don't want these tickets on my record because i don't feel like it's my fault..

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    I would suggest speaking with an Attorney he should be able to answer all your questions.

..__________________
    ~ Free advice is like a public defender,
    you get what you pay for. ~ drr

Comment

Doing that first thing in a few days on my day off. Figured to the least i'll try to get an attorney to get the tickets dropped so they are not on my record and just take the company to court and have them pay all the costs..

Comment

Well, that's a plan...

Originally posted by dsun View Post
        and just take the company to court and have them pay all the costs..
        Short of a valid contract to pay for any expenses or tickets, your [former] employer has no obligation to pay any costs. Frankly, I'm not sure I see any incentive for them to do so. The tickets were charged to you, as a driver in interstate commerce, and not to the owner of the vehicle.

Comment

Tickets

If you have a commerical license, the tickets will go on your record even if the prosecutor agrees to defer them or put you in a diversion program. This is based on state and federal law. If you have a regular Class D Oklahoma license, you should request the deferral, but understand that you will probably have to pay extra money and will probably be put on probation. Never trust someone else to take care of a ticket for you. It is your record on the line. Also, if you don't take care of them in a timely manner, you will likely end up with a warrant for your arrest. One last thing -you could ask the prosecutors office for a continuance. A little more time might help you convince your old boss to follow through.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I had got them settled and my former ended up paying the fines off. After informing my former employer that I wanted nothing further to do with them I was hiring an attorney they took it upon themselves to pay them off. I'm gonna investigate on this topic even further still yet though.

Comment

Working...
            X