This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer refuses to supply termination date Oklahoma

My sister went on long-term disability for seven months from her job in Oklahoma. The employer told her that her job would be held until she was released by the doctor to return to work. When she got the release, she returned to the employer to be told that she had been terminated while she was gone, however, they refuse to tell her on what date she was terminated. She can't file for unemployment without that date. How can we find out what her termination date is?

First, there is no "we" here. You have no standing to do anything with regards to your sister's employment.

Second, if you mean, what law can she invoke to force the employer to provide her with a date, there is no such law.

What I would do in her shoes is file for unemployment using the last date she actually worked as the termination date, explaining the circumstances as best she can. The employer will then be forced to either accept that date, or provide to the unemployment office an alternate date and explain why your sister's date is inaccurate.
    Last edited by cbg; 11-26-2010, 12:27 PM.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by lias1906 View Post
      My sister went on long-term disability for seven months from her job in Oklahoma. The employer told her that her job would be held until she was released by the doctor to return to work. When she got the release, she returned to the employer to be told that she had been terminated while she was gone, however, they refuse to tell her on what date she was terminated. She can't file for unemployment without that date. How can we find out what her termination date is?
      The employer only had to hold her job for 12 weeks even if FMLA applied in her case.

I would have her use the date when she returned & was told she was terminated.
      She couldn't get UI while on disability anyway - she would have had to be ready, willing
      & able to work. She would have needed to be released to work by dr.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sorry, cbg, your post wasn't there when I started mine but you got yours submitted
        off first.

OP - why don't you have your sister go ahead & do as cbg suggested.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X