This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demotion without documentation Oklahoma

I have been working for the last 2 years at a county Law Enforcement Center in central Oklahoma. A week ago I was demoted. I have never received a write-up or written counseling. I have asked for an explanation but have received conflicting answers each time.

I have since been approached by several other county employees who have also been demoted in the last 3 years without explanation or documentation. We are full-time employees. None of us are in temporary or probationary positions.

My record of service is spotless. I come in early. I go home late. I volunteer to help others whenever need. I am a retired veteran with over 20 years of service.

Is it legal to demote or reduce pay without documentation or justification? What are my options?

1.) Yes. Google at-will employment.

2.) To either accept the demotion, or find other employment.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Union by any chance?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No. Not Union.

In the military any decision that impacted the pay or position of an individual had to be documented. If there was a perceived weakness in the individual's performance then the individual had to be made aware of it and given the chance to change/correct/improve the perceived shortcoming.

Don't state and county employees have similar rights?

Comment

OK, just thought I'd check on the union status.

Probably not. This is not the military and the same rules do not apply. Google "at will employment".

If you work directly for the county, you might check with the county Civil Service Commission. Note that if you are not working for a government entity (and since there is no union), there is NO such "right" under the law. The ONLY possibility (and it is a slight one) is with the county itself.
          Last edited by Pattymd; 11-10-2009, 10:14 AM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

My personal suggestion is that the group of you write up your complaints, and go see the~~

Never mind. Patty beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
              My personal suggestion is that the group of you write up your complaints, and go see the~~

Never mind. Patty beat me to it.
              Patty doesn't want to do the work on her desk, so Patty is quick on the response draw today.

Comment

Not every county has a Civil Service commission so that may not be an option.

You need to check your policy manual and ordinances. Those will determine whether any notice or write up is required for demotion.

In my municipality, there is no write up required but we need to give 2 weeks notice if possible.
                I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                X