This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• termintation because of husbands felony Oklahoma

I cooked for a local (child related agency). I was terminated because of my husbands felony. I passed all background checks for the company, however the company that is in partnership with the company I worked for pushed for my termination. My husband dropped my off one time to work never ever even got out of his vehicle, then he had to pick me up that same day, again never got out of vehicle. That was the only time he dropped me off or pick me up and the was months ago. But that was months ago back in November, this is March. I am the one the company hired not my husband, I did my job very well, and they said that I did but because of his felony and the fact he was there in the parking lot ONE time they had to let me go.
    Last edited by cbg; 03-16-2008, 03:28 PM.

Felons or their wives are not classified as a "protected class" therefore fair or not your termination was legal
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

This may fall under unfair but it's not illegal.

In at-will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason that is not protected by law (ie you can't be terminated JUST because of your age, religion, gender).
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Is your husband felony related to an offense committed on a child? I can see where (the agency in question) would have issues with him even being in same street much less the property. Also how do they know your husband is a felon? This wont change the replies but might help shed some light on reasoning
        Last edited by cbg; 03-16-2008, 03:28 PM.
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Yes it was lewd molestation for which he was not guilty but after the child said it did not happen DHS said there was still grounds to charge him. He took a plea bargain, because it had cost him so much money by that time, he took the 5 years probation and no jail time unsupervised as long as he stayed away from his daughter. ...... His charge was to be dropped by 2011 however now with the new laws. It is there for life.. Thanks for all the comments

Comment

There's the reason for them being so very concerned with your husband being close to the agency.

Good luck on finding other employment.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks again for all the comments.. Yes I do understand their concerns; however I am the one that did the backgrounds checks and would never put the children into any danger. I will from here on only seek employment with companies that do not deal directly with children. Again thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mes View Post
                however I am the one that did the backgrounds checks and would never put the children into any danger. .

If you mean you performed the background checks at your place of employment, that could be considered a conflict of interest. I'm not saying you would do anything wrong, but it puts you and your employer in a very awkward position.
                I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yes they did background check on me and drug test and all . they hired me not my husband, however I will have to live with the discussion. But you can bet I will put everything out on the table from now on. Not everyone is so closed minded as others. Yes I maybe a little bitter right now but again I was the one they hired and passed all background checks.

Comment

Working...
                  X