This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denied copies of annual reviews Ohio

I've always received excellent annual performance reviews at my current place of employment and would like to have copies for my employment portfolio, but this is supposedly against company policy. Do I have any legal right to them?

No, sorry. In Ohio, and indeed in the majority of states, the contents of employee personnel files (including performance reviews) are considered company property and the employee is not entitled by law to copies. It is entirely up to the employer what, if any, access the employee is granted.

I will go on record as saying that I do not agree with such a policy as you describe, which is a good thing since I'm in one of the minority of states where such access is granted by law. But if that's the company's policy, the law in Ohio (and, for that matter, Federal law) is not going to require them to change it.
    Last edited by cbg; 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! I figured as much, but you don't know for sure until you ask.....

Comment

Private employers in Ohio must allow an employee to review any medical report arising out of any injury or disease related to the employee's employment & pertaining to him or her but that's it. (The employer can charge for furnishing the reports.)

It's up to the employer what (if any) additional records can be accessed as cbg noted.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X