This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I appeal unemployment...(advice please) Ohio

Ok, I am a nurse that was let go for telling one resident that another resident was suicidal. I talked to this resident and he says there was no damage done. No names or personal information given, didnt point him out.
    For this I got fired. No warnings, no problems with the resident. I have appealed once and was denied. Does anyone think I have a case or should I give up? They originally said it was a HIPAA violation, then changed it to "violating a company rule". I have never recieved anything saying why I was fired, and was denied it when asked for it in writing. Willfull act causing damage to resident or facility?" That is the only rule I can think they might be workin with? It did no damage to resident or facility. I just feel this was wrong to be fired for. Let me know what you think. Thank you for your time reading this.

Well, it was a HIPAA violation whatever else it might or might not be. It was a legal and legitimate reason to fire you. Was it necessary to fire you? Maybe not. Was it legal? Was it appropriate? Yes to both.

With that said, I look at it this way. If you appeal, you might win and you might not. If you don't appeal, you definitely won't win.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X