This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Workplace Ohio

I am a paralegal and have been for 11.5 years. I have been with my current employer for 8 years. He has refused to give me a pay raise for 3 years, he has not contributed to my retirement account in 2 years, and has cut my health insurance benefits essentially giving me a pay cut. (My health insurance is an individual policy, but since I am his only employee, he agreed to pay 100% of the quarterly premiums.) In addition to the above, he has started yelling at me over everything, including things that are beyond my control, and has taken issue with my clothing, work product, sick leave, and vacation time. (I haven't been able to take a vacation in almost a year, because I am to afraid to ask for it since he is always yelling at me.) When I told him he needed to find someone to replace me since he is so dissatified with me, he got very defensive and wouldn't hear of me quitting. Do I have any legal remedies, or is quitting my only option?

The definition of a hostile workplace is very specific under the law, and does not mean that your boss is unfriendly or even abusive. Unless you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII and related laws, you are not, legally, in an HWE.

About the only thing you mention that is out and out illegal is not contributing to your retirement account, and even that depends on what you mean by that. If he is making deductions from your pay and not submitting them, that is VERY illegal. If he is not making matching contributions as required by the plan document, that is also illegal. But if contributions are discretionary under the plan document, then even that is legal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X