This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attending college while on unemployment Ohio

The scenario is this an unemployed teacher collecting benefits, can she attend college while receiving unemployment compensation benefits? Must the classes be at night/weekends or can they be attended during the day?

If these classes would potentially maintain certification or make her eligible for other jobs by obtaining new certifications: do these situations matter?

I've tried searching the Ohio job/family services unemployment website and can only come up with appeals/hearing decisions not specific to this situation.

The general pamphlet states attending college is allowable in some circumstances, but I could not find the specific details.

Please help.

Scott

You'll have to ask the Ohio UI board. This is too state and situation specific for a message board to answer.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks.

I did see a similar question and response to this question but in the state of Michigan.

UI: Unemployment Insurance?

Comment

That's right.

Every state has its own rules about education and when they will pay and when they won't. I don't think we have any Ohio experts here. Of course, if one wanders by, they are welcome to answer your question!
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

what the "canned" literature says

Thanks CBQ!

This is directly quoted from the Ohio Dept of Job and Family Services pamphlet, "Worker's Guide to Unemployment Compensation."

Attending school may affect your eligibility to receive UC benefits. You must notify ODJFS if you are registering for school, are attending school, or stop attending school. You will be asked about availability for work. If you begin attending school while receiving unemployment benefits, you may still be required to seek suitable employment and be ready and willing to accept work on any shift or occupation consistent with your prior training and experience.

It seems to me that should said teacher in my original post attend school at night, according to this pamphlet; she would be "available for work" assuming continuity of the employment seeking efforts and be eligible for benefits.

Hopefully an Ohio expert will wander along!!!!!

Thanks,
          Scott

Comment

Working...
          X