X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kmb87
    started a topic is overtime required? Ohio

is overtime required? Ohio

I work full time (40 hrs/week) at a daycare in Ohio. I was asked by my boss to stay an extra 25 minutes after my shift on Monday. On Friday, I was told to take an extra 25 minutes on my break so the company would not have to pay me overtime. The only reason I agreed to stay late was because I thought I would be compendated for it with overtime.

My question is, if I was asked to stay after my shift, shouldn't I still be able to work the 8 hours/day I was scheduled the rest of the week?

I have a second question as well... my employer "strongly encouraged" me to come in on Saturday to clean my room for a State Inspection (off the clock). Are they required to pay me for this?

• kmb87
    replied
    thank you!

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    It is 100% legal for your employer to adjust your schedule so that you do not work over 40 hours. You do not have an inherent right under the law to work overtime.

If you had refused to work the extra 25 minutes you could have been fired. I'm not saying you would have been because I don't know your employer. But if you had refused, and your employer had fired you, it would have been legal.

However, you cannot be required to clean your room off the clock. You can be required to clean it, but you must be paid for the time. And if it puts you into more than 40 hours for the week, it is overtime.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X