This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a State Law to take lunch? Ohio

I work part-time (10 hrs a week) and my hours are somewhat variable (start and end times may vary by an hour or two either way on a day to day basis). My employer is under the impression (from their accountant) that if the State audits them and finds out that they let anybody work more than 6 hours (in a day) and that they didn't take a lunch, my employer would be in very big trouble.

Can you tell me if this truly is a State Law that an employee MUST take a 30 minute lunch if they work over 6 hours in a day? Regardless of whether or not the employer cares whether or not the employee takes lunch. We are a VERY small office (the boss, a full-time office manager and two part-time office assistants).

No requirements for adults in private employment in Ohio. All minors (under age 18) are required to have a 30 min. uninterrupted break when working more than 5 consecutive hrs.

There is also a rule re railroad workers & rest breaks but that wouldn't apply here.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

However, even though neither state nor Federal law requires it, it is still the right of the employer to make lunch mandatory, and to fire an employee who refuses.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X