This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help appealing commission review board decision Ohio

I am currently unemployed. After 6 months of appealing the review board's decision, I had a telephone hearing through which I finally won my unemployment compensation. The store, (deleted by moderator) in Louisville, Ohio, appealed that decision January 4th. I got a letter in February stating that the review of the appeal was disposed to a review commission which ultimately sent me a letter on Good Friday that the decision to give me my benefits was reversed.

I now have to appeal in the Columbiana County court of common pleas in the appellate court. A free legal aid attorney I contacted said they cannot help at this point unless I had contacted them back in January. This is the first time I've had to deal with these problems. What I need is some legal help to take my case pro bono if at all possible. I will need help filing this whole thing and paying any fees.

What the main problem is, the attorney offered, was that the review commission believed the store's appeal without providing evidence. He doesn't understand why they reversed their decision without a 2nd phone hearing. The review officer basically punched holes in their arguments that they had just cause. I want help in filing this appeal which needs to be done before April 18th, 2008.
    Last edited by cbg; 03-31-2008, 01:53 PM.

Sorry but this board specifically prohibits referrals to attorneys.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Then what is the purpose of this board and what good is it to just talking about problems? I don't have the money or the knowledge to pursue this fight in court. I NEED HELP!!!!!

Comment

You might need help but this board isn't a place to seek the pro bono legal assistance you are asking for. This board is to give general advice on employment issues, not substitute as a lawyer in actual litigation.

If you want general opinions on your chances of prevailing you will have to share why you are no longer employed and more about the circumstances involved. Please remove the name of the employer from your post.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
          You might need help but this board isn't a place to seek the pro bono legal assistance you are asking for. This board is to give general advice on employment issues, not substitute as a lawyer in actual litigation.

If you want general opinions on your chances of prevailing you will have to share why you are no longer employed and more about the circumstances involved. Please remove the name of the employer from your post.
          Looks like someone edited my post for me. Gee thanks.

I was fired for making a purchase. After 6 months of appeals through the unemployment bureau, a telephone hearing was conducted at the end of Dec 2007. In that hearing, the technical details of why the store felt justified in firing me had holes poked through by the review officer, identified the lies (the store's claims of what they used to fire me also changed and has been the same conduct by management while I was employed there) and allowed my benefits. The store wasted little time in faxing in an appeal. The review commission did not conduct a 2nd hearing and went based on "what was on record" and hearsay and not actual evidence, and reversed their decision.

what I need to do is an administrative appeal, because at this point this goes to the common pleas court in the county where I live. From what I can gather, I need to work on filing a docketing thingy, and a praecipe. I think they also allow a poverty affidavit. I have no idea how to fill these things out. Local free legal aid was worth just that, even if the guy was a little helpful. He couldn't understand why a 2nd hearing wasn't conducted, why they went on hearsay instead of actual evidence. He told me that if I can get it started, hopefully with the affidavit, I could get a private attorney on board to help me fight. I cannot take any more stress, and having Asperger's doesn't make it any easier. I considered contacting local TV stations to see what help that could bring. I'm at my wit's end, I'm still unemployed (awaiting help from BVR people) and they want me to arrange paying this back? The head honcho held a personal grudge against me and that's the only reason why this keeps going on when I won. People said the unemployment people usually don't reverse their decisions, but I can't be that lucky, can I? I've filed for disability because of Asperger's, and have yet to hear from them. At least we have a name of a lawyer we can turn to if I get rejected for that the first time.
          Last edited by mrshoujo; 04-01-2008, 02:24 PM. Reason: missing letters, add a detail

Comment

What exactly did you do to get fired? There is more to the story than making a purchase. What reason did the employer give for the termination the first time and in the appeal?

Comment

Working...
            X