This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary Vacation Ohio

I am a salary "non exempt" employee. My question is that my employer requires that we are charged vacation if we are off a day or leave early, even an hour early. If our vacation is gone, and we are sick or off a day we are not paid that day. Can they do this since I am salary?

"Salary" is only a pay method and does not confer any legal status in and of itself.

The key word here is "non-exempt". If you are non-exempt, you never have to be paid when you don't work.

But even an exempt employee can be unpaid if they use up all their vacation time and take a day off for personal reasons, or if they have used up all their sick time and call in sick.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Here is a link on salaried non-exempt employees:

http://payroll-taxes.com/articles/sa...ernatives.html
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It seems in some states a salaried non-exempt employee's salary can't be reduced if they work less than the expected # of hrs.:

What if the employee works less than the expected number of hours during the workweek? In some cases there could be problems because in some states if an employee is paid a salary, his salary cannot be reduced if he works less than the expected number of hours. He is treated the same as an exempt employee. In those states the only way an employer can avoid paying the employee who works less than the expected number of hours is to make the employee an hourly employee. So employers must be aware of what state law permits.

http://payroll-taxes.com/articles/salariesGeneral.html

P.S. If anyone knows right off any of these states, would you please let me know. I haven't tried researching them -yet anyway. Don't have time right now. Thanks
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I don't either, Betty, but I doubt Ohio would be one of them. Ohio defers to federal for most wage and hour issues.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
            P.S. If anyone knows right off any of these states, would you please let me know. I haven't tried researching them -yet anyway. Don't have time right now. Thanks
            I have been trying to figure that out ever since Bob Ditmer wrote the article and I have yet to find any. I can say that CA is not one of them, per the CA-DLSE manual.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

If Ca. isn't one, I wouldn't think there would be any since Ca. is so employee friendly. Thanks Patty & DAW for your comments. Betty3

Comment

Thanks

Thank you everyone for all of the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X