This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepaid employee? Ohio

I worked for a small company in Ohio for 5 years. I gave a 30 day notice. days before the end of my notice my employer told me I would not receive a final paycheck because I was "prepaid'. I asked her what the hell that meant because all of my paystubs clearly show I was being paid for a time period already worked. I had received 120 paychecks in five years and all of a sudden I am prepaid and will not receive a final paycheck. She also told me that if I did not fulfill my notice I would have to reimburse the company. I sued them and the magistrate agreed with them because I could not prove I was not prepaid. I showed him my pay stubs,told him that no one ever told me I was prepaid, my boss admited she never told me I was prepaid and even before all of that she could not explain how I was prepaid because the accountant had to explain it to her. A few weeks after the court hearing I called the accountant and she never heard of such a thing and told me she filled out my paychecks as instructed. She did not even know I was prepaid. The magistrate said I should sue the accountant because they filled out the information on my paystubs. Any body ever heard of something like this?

If your pay stubs show a particular pay period ending, that's pretty good evidence that the pay is, in fact, for that pay period. Obviously either that isn't what happened or the magistrate didn't see that.

"Fulfill" notice? Do you have an employment contract? Reimburse the company for what?

Sue the accountant? Don't know. Depends on if the accountant has personal liability for errors, but that's unlikely.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You have to understand these people. They are out to get anything from anyone they can. They keep employee tips under the guise that it will pay for a christmas party for the employees (they get to choose who gets invited) and the promise of a "summer" party before everyone goes off to college. There were 12 people out of 35 at their last christmas party and in the 5 years I was there they never had a summer party. Besides, I talked to their first accountant who told me they did not do payroll except for print the W-2's. The second accounting firm said they were only doing what they were instructed to do.

Comment

Are there appeal rights regarding the decision?

In any case, you're obviously better off out of there. The majority of employers aren't "out to get" the employees.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X