This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forced to work out of town Ohio

Recently, the company I work for, had a meeting to let all of the employees know that it was a requirement to work out of town when needed. This is not very convienient for someone with small children and a wife at home. Nonetheless, when I requested to stay home, they gave me a week off with no pay. So, now I was forced to work 2 hours from home with no paid travel time, and have no choice but to stay in a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 sometimes more other people. There are no beds, just mattresses on a dirty floor, no television, and they only give us $11.50 a day perdium pay. That is only 3 of the 4 days we have to stay there. The last day , since we are not sleeping over, they feel we dont need to eat anything . Therefore, we get nothing on that day, even though we don't get home until around 8:30 p.m. I cant help but feel that some of this is illegal. None of the employees that go out of town are paid salary. We fill out time sheets, and like I said before, we are not paid travel time. Some are even asked to drive their own vehicle down. If anyone has any advice, please help. Thank You.

Sorry, no, unless you have a bona fide employment contract that defines your work hours/days, it's not illegal. The employer is free to change the work rules as business needs change.

I take it you're a nonexempt employee (generally speaking, hourly-paid)?

Normally, travel time for nonexempt employees is compensatory if the travel occurs during your regularly scheduled working hours, even if that travel occurs on a non-scheduled work day.
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.39.htm

There is no law in Ohio that the employer reimburse you for business-related expenses.

Sounds like it may be time to dust off the resume.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 02-21-2008, 05:23 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X