This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure out how to post; UI question NC

I was notified recently that I may have exhausted my unemployment benefits after 13 weeks. I noticed that they sometimes go back on a previous claim to determine eligibility. I am curious as to how far they may be willing to go back on the prior claim, in the great state of North Carolina.

My very best,

Chuck J

Originally posted by DAW View Post
    Probably agree with the other responses, but I have a few questions.
    - When you say "contract employee" do you mean "employee"? Taxes withheld from your check and you get a W-2 at year end? If so, all employees (whether or not you add the word "contract") are subject to something called labor law. NC is indeed not one of the two states that requires mileage reimbursement. However, all states are subject to the federal minimum wage law and this law requires that MW be paid "free and clear" of all employer imposed obligations. This rule does not require the employer to reimburse expenses per se, but if unremibursed expenses functionally reduces actual payments below federal MW, then we have a federal labor law violation.
    - You also mentioned "contract". While employees can have contracts, that is the exception, not the rule. Contracts cannot make labor law obligations go away (assuming you are an employee), but contracts can potentially add obligations. Have you read the contract? Does it mention mileage?
    - Lastly people sometimes use the phrase "contract employee" to mean "independent contractor" - a worker who is not an employee and who is not subject to labor law at all. If such a worker is really not an employee, then labor law (including MW) is off the table and the sole remaining law is the contract (and contract law).

powerstar1, you posted ok but you should have started your own new
    thread with your question. You added your question to another poster's
    thread. I will start a new thread for you.

I assume you want the question in your post answered?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Hi ya Betty

Yes indeed, I certainly do! Many thanks for your kind and thoughtful consideration!!

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      powerstar1, you posted ok but you should have started your own new
      thread with your question. You added your question to another poster's
      thread. I will start a new thread for you.

I assume you want the question in your post answered?

Comment

Ok. I wasn't sure if you wanted you question answered also or if you JUST
        posted to see if you could figure out how to post.

When someone comes along who can answer your UI question re NC, they will.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

powerstar1, if no one comes along who can give you a specific answer to
          your question, you might check the NC UI website & see if you can get an
          answer there or contact one of the NC UI offices & ask.

Comment

Working...
          X