This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quitting and PTO North Carolina

I'm currently employed full time at a company that has a PTO system in place. I have accrued 120 hours PTO, and am planning on quitting for a myriad of reasons shortly. Am I entitled to this pay if I do so?

I found this and as I understand it, they are not obligated to give me PTO, but once they do I am entitled to it, or am I misinterpreting it?

Thanks.

NC 95‑25.12. Vacation pay plans.

No employer is required to provide vacation pay plans for employees. However, if an employer provides these promised benefits for employees, the employer shall give all vacation time off or payment in lieu of time off in accordance with the company policy or practice. Employees shall be notified of any policy or practice which requires or results in loss or forfeiture of vacation time or pay. Employees not so notified are not subject to such loss or forfeiture.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

In North Carolina, if there is a written company policy that PTO/vacation is forfeited on termination, and the employees know about/have access to that policy, then the policy is legal and enforceable.

If no such policy exists, then accrued but unused PTO/vacation is payable at termination.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, in NC, if vacation/PTO is not to be paid on termination of
        employment, there must be a written "policy" that employees were
        given to that affect.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X