Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is getting fired for saying "Jesus" on a call a Wrongful Terminiation? North Carolina

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is getting fired for saying "Jesus" on a call a Wrongful Terminiation? North Carolina

Back in April, I returned a call to clear up a matter with a participant of an outsourced company's plan. The lady began to get really irate for no apparent reason. I made sure to be considerate and polite and offered to transfer her to another representative who could better serve her needs. Between the transition, I quietly said "Jesus" in a form of prayer.

The lady made a complaint to the client in which we are outsourced with and told them that I was wasting her time because I called her and did not immediately give her the information she needed.

It was not until a month later that I was called into the team leader's office and told that the client specifically stated that they did not want me to be a part of the team any longer due to me saying 'Jesus' on a recorded line. Because of this, they fired me.

This was the first time this has ever happened over a course of 3 years of service and I have had only high performing evaluations. I did not receive a warning, neither reprimanded, only fired because I said "Jesus".

I was not offering my religion, nor trying to be rude; however, I was specifically told that the entire call was fine, except the part where I said 'Jesus'. I have witnessed others use obscene language and be obviously rude while speaking with participants who still are employed there today. Can this be filed as religious discrimination?

Thank you for your input!

Obviously whoever heard you thought it was rude, or cursing, or whatever. Honestly, I would if I heard it.

In any case, I don't see this as even close to a wrongful termination. However, check back for further opinions.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Even if you state it was a prayer, your employer doesn't have to allow prayer during an interaction with a customer.

I agree with Patty that reading your description it sounds like a curse.

Comment

Thank you. I did not look at it that way. I appreciate your input.

Comment

Having said that, you probably have a better than even chance at getting unemployment benefits. You filed immediately, right?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X