X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• company policy North Carolina

Hello,
    I worked for a company in N.C. for about 5 yr's and had some personel issues to take care of..
    I went to my HR and production manager's and discused it with them and followed there advice and resigned to be hired back.
    They told me that depending how long i was gone would determine how much my pay would be cut..
    When I was ready to go back to work I informed them I was ready and the cut my pay $1.45 cents..
    After I got back to work and read the company policy on being rehired..
    The policy read that if terminated or laid off and you was rehired back with in a year that you would keep the same rate of pay and that your senority would be adjusted to the amount of time you was gone...
    My question is why if I resigned was my pay reduced and I kept my senority?
    second question's is when I resigned they gave me two options get terminanted and not be hired back or resign?
    Do I have any chance of suing them and getting my money i lost in back pay?
    I no longer work there and will have other question concerning that...Thank you
    Last edited by jerry d; 03-22-2010, 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling

terminated/discrimination??

Hello,
    I was recently terminated from my job after 2 1/2 years of being back to work.
    I made a mistake which resulted inn a 5,000 dollar loss to the company and was giving a day off with no pay and sent for a voluntery drug test that I knew i would fail...
    I have noo problem losing my job over this my problem is that the production managers son works for the same company.
    He has been fired twice and rehired failed two drug test and was recently arrested for dui, resisting arrest and drug and pot charges.
    My question is he wasn't made to take a drug test when he came back to work.
    Company policy is if there is any suspicion of drug use that they can and will test you..
    Wouldn't that be dicrimination against me if i get terminated for failing a drug test while he gets to keep his job and don't get drug tested??

Comment

Company policies very rarely rise to the level of enforceable contractual obligations. Supervisors can be treated differently from rank and file workers. Not all discrimination is illegal. You're welcome to take the documents you have to an attorney, but I wouldn't be optimistic. They followed the policy in YOUR case.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

It pays to know people in high places

Originally posted by jerry d View Post
        I made a mistake which resulted inn a 5,000 dollar loss
        Yeh, I had a really, really bad day like that once too.

My problem is that the production managers son works for the same company,
        he has been fired twice and rehired failed two drug test and was recently arrested for dui, resisting arrest and drug and pot charges.
        My question is he wasn't made to take a drug test when he came back to work
        It PAYS to have people in high places.

Company policy is if there is any suspicion of drug use that they can and will test you..
        Usually that only happens while someone is AT work
        Why test him when he comes back to work?

Wouldn't that be dicrimination against me if i get terminated for failing a drug test while he gets to keep his job and don't get drug tested??
        No, that would not be discrimination.
        I suspect though, you were fired for making that little $5.000 dollar mistake AND
        failing the drug testů.
        Look on the bright side,
        Now you have time to go into rehab..
        It just might help you keep a job.....
        ..___________________
        ~ There are three kinds of people:
        There are the ones who learn by reading,
        the few who learn by observation,
        and then there are those who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

Comment

My question is why if I resigned was my pay reduced and I kept my senority? I have no idea. What I can tell you is that they didn't have to hire you at all. Additionally, company policies are not binding. They can deviate from them when they wish to.

Wouldn't that be dicrimination against me if i get terminated for failing a drug test while he gets to keep his job and don't get drug tested?? I suppose you can call it discrimination if you wish to but it isn't ILLEGAL discrimination. If they want to give the production manager's son a break and not you, they can.

You made a $5,000 mistake and are using illegal drugs. You don't have a leg to stand on here.

Comment

Working...
          X