X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Unemployment appeal... North Carolina

Hi,

I need to know if I have even a slight chance of winning my unemployment appeal.
    I filed for Unemployment in March. I was denied. I have sent in my appeal and I am waiting on a hearing date. I sent it in almost 4 weeks ago.
    Technically, I quit my job BUT.....I
    I was on FMLA leave at the time taking care of my mom who had been diagnosed with lung cancer. The leave was due to be up and I asked my employer if there was another job in the company that was in the city I live in OR had less hours. I was working approx. 70 hours a week and travelled 4 out of 5 days. I am a single parent and my mom had been the caretaker of my boys while I worked. Since she is now unable to care for them in that matter, I need a job closer to home and one that is less hours (max. 50).
    The odd thing is that I put on my unemployment form that I had quit and my company put the same thing BUT as for the medical insurance, my company put that I was terminated.
    My questions are:
    Do I have even a slight chance of winning the appeal?
    How long does it take to get an appeal hearing?
    Thank you!!!!

In a very, very few states, an employee can quit for reasons related to family illness and still collect UI. I do not know if NC is one of them. If it is, then yes, you have a chance. If it is not, then I very much doubt that you will be able to prevail as in general, quitting is a disqualifier.

BTW, any time your employment ends, that's a termination. If you quit it's a voluntary termination. If your employer instigates it, that's an involuntary termination.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Is North Carolina one of those states?

Thank you for the reply. How do I find out if North Carolina is one of the states that allows that?
      Also, thank you for the clarification on the "termination".

Comment

I would suggest contacting the NC UI office if no one here knows.

Of course, you'll find out at the time of your appeal hearing.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X