This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaction Hours Accumulation North Carolina

I work for a city government. We were advised in a meeting today with the new city manager that vacation hours accumulated were given to 12 hr and 24 hr employees at an incorect base rate of 1.50 hrs. They are saying that the rate should have been 1.05 hrs. They also are saying that they changed the policy to allow them to take 30% of the vacation back for 12 hrs and 60% for 24 hr employees. They are also saying that they took it back 3 months ago and they are just telling us know and notifying us in writing.

Is this legal and if not, what recourse do the 12 & 24 hr employees have??

If they made a mistake, they are allowed to correct it.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Just a little more info.

10 years ago, the then City manager, Mayor, and finaince officer sat down with the commissoners and had a meeting. It was decided then that a "Day was a Day", in effect and they came up with this special formula to calculate vacation rates. Now, 10 years later with a new city manager, there is all of a sudden this big mistake.

At what point would a unwritten policy become standard paractice. I understand that they made an error, but 10 years worth. I think that it is just funny that they are only taking 1 year (120 hrs of vacation from those that have it, but if you don't have it, they aren't making you pay for it.

Comment

10 years???

That changes my answer and I'm not sure I disagree with you. Are you a member of a union or collective bargaining unit?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

no unions or collective bargaining that I know of.

Comment

OK, then here's what I am going to suggest, depending on how many employees are involved. You get together and designate a representative to draft a letter stating your position and send it to the City Manager, Mayor and Director of Finance. I would note, just in case you're concerned, that this would be a protected activity under the NRLA.

Comment

I will definately do that when the time is right. The CM is saying that it is supposed to be already taken out, but our last pay checks are not showing the deduction. I am waiting for them to move forward and then we have to file a greivance with the city before persueing legal action.

What is the NRLA?? just want to have all my basis covered.

thanks

Comment

National Labor Relations Act. Among other things, it protects employees from retaliation/firing, etc. when they are discussing working conditions among themselves. You can google it.

Comment

http://www.nlrb.gov/
                  "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                  Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
                  X