This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking facts before unemployment filing North Carolina

At the end of work last friday I was advised that owner was getting a partner in the company. I was then told that the partner would be taking my job as the sales manager. I was a salaried manager but not exempt because I could not hire/fire employees.

I have read that NC is an at will state so no notice was required on behalf of my employer. correct?
    From what I have read nothing is owed to me by my employer from this point on. I get paid weekly and will be paid my monthly commission and pay for this last week next Friday. Am I right so far?

Is filing for unemployment the only option available or is anything else due to me? Such as an additional weeks pay? I have been working there for 3.5 months.

• cbg
    replied
    It is not required that you be able to hire and fire in order to be exempt, but exempt/non-exempt status is irrelevant here.

You are correct that your employer was not required to give you any notice. You are owed pay for all the time you actually worked. IF you have any earned but unused vacation time AND IF there is not a written company policy stating the terms under which you would forfeit that vacation, they must pay it out under NC law. However, after only three and a half months I don't imagine there is much, if any, time due.

Severance is not required by law.

Leave a comment:

• mistoffolees1
    replied
    Originally posted by SalesNC View Post
    At the end of work last friday I was advised that owner was getting a partner in the company. I was then told that the partner would be taking my job as the sales manager. I was a salaried manager but not exempt because I could not hire/fire employees.

I have read that NC is an at will state so no notice was required on behalf of my employer. correct?
    From what I have read nothing is owed to me by my employer from this point on. I get paid weekly and will be paid my monthly commission and pay for this last week next Friday. Am I right so far?

Is filing for unemployment the only option available or is anything else due to me? Such as an additional weeks pay? I have been working there for 3.5 months.
    Nothing else is required. Even companies which voluntarily pay severance wouldn't pay much after 3.5 months.

Your only real option is to offer to stay on for some period to train the new partner in his new job - but with only 3.5 months experience, your leverage is pretty low.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X