This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied Unemployment Compensation North Carolina

My wife has worked full time for years in Michigan. On April 21, 2008 she began working for a North Carolina architecture firm from our home in Michigan. It is a salaried position, based off of 40 hr/wk. Our entire family moved to NC and she began working in the Charlotte office August 11, 2008.

Due to market conditions she was laid off November 17, 2008. She applied for and has been denied UC by the State of North Carolina; the explanation given was:

"YOU ARE NOT ELIGABLE TO RECEIVE EXTENDED UNEMPLYMENT BENEFITS DUE TO INSUFFICIENT BASE PERIOD WAGES. YOU DID NOT MEET THE MINIMUM INSURED WAGE REQUIREMENT IN YOUR QUALIFING BASE PERIOD AS DETERMINED UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF STATE LAW IMPLEMENTING SECTION 202 (a) (5) OF THE FEDERAL-STATE EXTENDED UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION ACT"

As for as I can tell, the State may be using the date she began full time employment in NC (14 weeks in the state) and not the full 30 weeks she worked for the firm, including her time in Michigan. Her total compensation for the 30 weeks she worked was nearly $40,000.

Is she not eligable for unemployment compensation?

She needs to contact the agency and give them the information regarding her wages earned in Michigan. If she did not tell them when she originally filed, the state would have no way of knowing. The state does not automatically contact other states to see if wages were reported there. This should bring her financial eligibility up to the requirements.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the response. They have the information from Michigan and still got the denial.

Comment

I'd then at least ask for an explanation. She may have to file an appeal to get it.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X