Health insurance coverage? New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance coverage? New York

I'm new to business in NY State. Am I required to cover the same percentage of health insurance? In other words, can I cover 100% of one persons premium, 65% of another and 25 % of another? Please advise and thank you!

That depends on how you plan to choose who gets what.

My employer does it by salary tiers. Employees who make under x get 85% of the premium paid for; employees who make between x and y get 80% paid for, and employees who make over y get 75% paid for. There would also be no problem with setting it by jobs; divisions; locations; or other more-or-less objective determination.

But if you're planning to pay all of Sally's because she needs the extra help and less of Jack's because he's been a real pain in the fanny, you are setting yourself up for a discrimination complaint sooner or later. And unless you can show objective criteria how the percentages were determined, you will lose.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

So could I just do 50% with a maximum dollar coverage? So if someone choose a plan in a higher tier, they would end up paying more percentage. Foresee problems?

Comment

Are you talking about something like an across the board, 50% of the cost with a maximum dollar figure of xxx?

I want to make sure I understand what we're talking about.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

yes that's exactly what I mean! What do you think?

Comment

I think you would be safer with a plan of, ABC company will pay 50% of the cost of the plan. This means if you elect play A we will pay x and you will pay x; if you elect plan B you will pay y and we will pay y, and if you elect plan C we will pay z and you will pay z. Then you are paying the same percentage, even if you are not paying the same dollar amount, for everyone, and the employees know going in what their payment will be. That's much more defendable if anyone should complain that you're not subsidizing the same for everyone.

Comment

Alternately you could just say you are covering $200 of every employee's premium and they decide which plan they want. Those who want to pay as little of their own money as possible will pick the basic plan and those who want the Cadillac of insurance plans will pay a little more.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

We are not t here yet, but eventually (2014?) there will be an excise tax on so-called premium health care plans, unless the currently scheduled changes are amended.
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
                X