This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in job, Can I Quit and Collect Unemployment? - New York

Is it possible to be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits if I quit my job due to a change in the working conditions and/or role?

For several years I was considered a professional employee. I worked an 8 hour, 9-5 day, 5 days a week in an office as a writer, journalist, and marketing assistant.

Now, my firm has asked me to act as a crossing guard. This involves a change in hours, 7am-10am (though I still work in the office the remaining 5 hours of the day) and environment, I have to stand outside directing vehicles and pedestrians. I received no training or certification to take on these new duties.
    My salary and rate remain the same.

Can I quit my job under these circumstances and still receive Unemployment Insurance benefits?

I appreciate any guidance you can give.

Thanks

Maybe. I agree that the change is a MAJOR change in working conditions. The problem is that even the state won't give an opinion before the fact. They'll tell you to file and they'll make a decision; of course, by that time, you've already quit.

Now, you CAN file for partial benefits due to the substantial decrease in weekly hours.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

it's actually the same number of weekly hours.
      now it's 15 hours out on the street, 25 hours in the office.
      I don't have a job description, as far as I know, so I suppose the company could hide behind that.

Another tidbit is that since I am not certified in any way I believe they are in breach of contract for the work we are doing for this client.

Comment

OK, I misunderstood. In some states, a major decrease in compensation can qualify you (not in my current state of PA, for example), but I don't know about NY.

Certified for what? Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with your employment status.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

oh yeah, not really relevant I guess, but you know, you can't just take a random person and say, "umm you, go direct traffic."
          We tell our clients and City agencies that our employees have taken sanctioned/accredited training classes.

Comment

Originally posted by vidro3 View Post
            oh yeah, not really relevant I guess, but you know, you can't just take a random person and say, "umm you, go direct traffic."
            Is there a state law you can cite saying that? Are you an employee of a government entity? Directing traffic where?

Since you didn't take a pay cut, you're more SOL than I originally thought. And your chances, IMHO, just went down. It's a change in duties, nothing more (although, agreed a major change).

If you quit, you're taking a big chance.
            Last edited by Pattymd; 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM.

Comment

thanks for your help.

Comment

Agree, taking big chance quitting. First post says same # of hrs. & same salary.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                  First post says same # of hrs. & same salary.
                  Well, I'm on pain meds, I have an excuse.

Comment

Feel better soon!
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                    X