This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about Unemployment New York

I started a job in late January (worked 1 or 2 weeks in January) But the job will be ending soon. I am guessing Mid June.

will I be eligible for unemployment? I am very confused about the eligibility. I have been told 3 different things from people I worked with:

1. I have been told yes.

2. No because I didn't work 26 weeks

3. Yes but I need to wait until July to file a claim

Hope you guys are smart enough to clear this up for me.

A new claim filed in June will have a standard base period of calendar 2009. If you do not qualify with that base period, an alternative base period may be requested but, even so, that period would be April 2009 through March 2010. If you wait until July to file your claim, the alternative base period could then be July 2009 through June 2010, although any benefits might be delayed until after the employer's quarterly report of wages is due, which isn't until July 31. NY is not my state, so I don't know if that can be accelerated with proof from you, such as paystubs for all wages paid in 2nd quarter 2010. See the eligibility requirements here:
    http://www.labor.state.ny.us/ui/clai...pplyfaq.shtm#0

Did you not work at all in 2009?
    Last edited by Pattymd; 05-18-2010, 04:19 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

unfortunately no. I was in Europe for most of 2009.

so this means I will not be eligible? This "base period" thing is confusing.

Comment

Just found this so it clears things up for me a bit

http://fileunemployment.org/wp-conte...mployment1.jpg

Looking at this I guess I would only be eligible if I waited until October to file

Comment

That is correct, but you missed the exception for an "alternative base period". What you linked to was the standard base period. The alternative base period would include the two quarters you worked in 2010 and you might qualify with that; it appears it is automatic if you don't qualify under the standard base period. You definitely wouldn't qualify if you filed in June, even WITH the alternative base period. This was in the link I gave you earlier:
          If you do not meet the requirements in the Basic base period, it will be determined whether you qualify using the Alternate base period. If you qualify using the Alternate base period, the Alternate base period will be used to establish your claim.

My advice? Wait until June to file the claim, so the alternative base period will be used; it's the only chance you'll have.
          Last edited by Pattymd; 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You mean don't apply until July right? Thanks

Comment

You're right, I meant July. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
              X