This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligated to Train Replacement?

Let us suppose that I'm the only person at the company that knows how to do certain key processes (simply by virtue of my skill set... someone of a similar skill set could learn). If I'm no longer employed by the company am I obligated to return to train my replacement? Even if not training someone could result in the company going out of business?

Does it matter if I get fired or leave voluntarily?

Basically I'm more worried that the owner will fire me, I'll start collecting unemployment and then get hosed up somehow because I "refused a valid job" when they "offer" me a job to train my replacement.

Now admittedly being in the kind of environment where you constantly fear being fired is no fun so I'm of course looking for saner employment (which is why I ask if I leave myself does that change things...)

I have no employment contract in place so At Will should apply in my case.

Thanks!

You're not obligated to train your replacement - you can say no. It seems you have no type of contract that would be to the contrary.

However -

If you leave voluntarily (resign), you are not likely to get unemployment ins. It is always best not to quit. You don't generally get UI when you quit.

It's "possible" if they let you go but offer you work to train the replacement, the UI folks might consider that not accepting work offered. That is probably what your employer will say - they offered you work. The UI office will have to make the decision.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I would normally never suggest this. But, if someone had ever fired me and then "offered" me a temporary job to train my replacement in order to deny me unemployment benefits, I would probably accept the job and show up for the training sessions. However, no one could take any action against me if I turned out to be an ineffective trainer.
      Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Comment

Agree, you'll be getting paid for the time - why not work it.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Well obviously I don't want to get fired and I'm smart enough (after reading here) to know I won't get UI if I leave voluntarily. So I would only go that route if I had something lined up.

As to firing... its a keep your head down and don't get caught between the owners divorce lawyers kind of thing.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X