This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment New York

I was terminated from a position this past November and went on UI. Last week I accepted a position which pays much less that what I was given in my previous job, but was told I would be evaluated in 3 months and a pay increase would be addressed. In this economy, I thought someting is better than nothing. Well the new job is not really for me and it is not something I see myself doing for the rest of my life (or for even 1 year). I don't think I can go back to receiving UI if I quit, but I really don't want my new employer to spend a lot of time training me for a job I don't want. My question is, if I tell them that I don't think that the job is right for me; but will continue to stay until I find a new job; can I get UI if they should let me go?

Originally posted by cd3471 View Post
    My question is, if I tell them that I don't think that the job is right for me; but will continue to stay until I find a new job; can I get UI if they should let me go?
    No one on this website will know how the state will view this. I can say that it be best for you to keep your mouth shut and look for another job. Telling the employer what you are thinking is maybe good for the employer, but is a very bad idea where you are concerned. And no one but the state has an opinion that matters in this.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

If it makes you feel better, let me tell you this tale.

We had an employee who was working a 2nd job after-hours at our place. She worked for us 32 hours a week at a certain rate of pay. She was also offered several benefits packages, but declined them.

Well, this 2nd job she was working offered her a full-time position with them. She asked us if we could match the hours and pay rate they were offering. We're not a rich business, and we could not afford to match the other offer. This employee turned her in her two-week notice, and left our business.

Six months later I get a letter from UI asking for what reason this employee left our business. I wrote on the form "left at-will to pursue other opportunities," and wrote that we didn't think this former employee should get UI. We didn't lay her off. We didn't cut her hours or decrease her pay, or anything else. A better opportunity for her presented itself, and she took it.

Of course, we get a letter stating that NY state ruled in favor of this former employee, and as far as I know, she is recieiving UI on our ticket because she wasn't at the other position long enough. Through the grape-vine we discovered she left her other job because she just didn't like it and decided she might as well just be a SAHM to her teenage children who are in school all day.

Go figure. The whims of the state never cease to amaze me.

Comment

Veterinary group, the controlling factor probably is how long she was the new job. If it had been 2-3 weeks, you probably could have protested, or at least requested relief of charges. Did she get fired from the other job and was trying to claim unemployment relative to that termination?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

i just started this new job last Monday and was off on Friday so I have only been there for 5 days counting today. The previous job I was there for about 16 weeks - which I was terminated. The employer before that almost 9 years.

Comment

Yeah, that's not going to be enough. Sorry, but the previous employer (before this last one) is going to be able to protest your current claim.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X