This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split shift and minimum number of hours per shift New York

I have kind of two questions in one, but they relate to each other.

I know there are rules on split shifts, but I don't know what they are, could anyone help me out with the basics rules I should know. This is the only thing I found online, but I don't even understand it:

ADDITIONAL DAILY RATE FOR SPLIT SHIFT AND SPREAD OF HOURS
    For any day in which an employee works a split shift and/or a spread of hours that exceeds 10 hours, the employee must
    receive an additional hourís pay at the basic minimum hourly wage rate.

I am an hourly employee and occasionally work split shifts. Sometimes half of my shift is short, like ranging from 2 hours to 3 1/2 or it is as long as 5 hours. This is where the second question comes in, is there a law stating what the minimum number of hours a shift may be (I thought I heard that a shift must be at least 4 hours long or the employer must pay for at least a four hour shift if they schedule the employee for less than four hours/send them home early, which is similar to what I found above, but I don't understand what that is saying.
    * sometimes we are only open for 2-3 hours, so if there is a minimum shift-is there separate rules for this?

My questions summed up:
    1) What are the rules/my rights regarding split shifts?
    2) Is there a minimum number of hours for each part of a split shift?
    3) Is there a minimum number of hours for a whole shift in general?

Thanks for your help.

1. I think you have those. New York is not my state, that's all I could find online, too.
    2. Not to my knowledge.
    3. No.

You're welcome to contact the state DOL to confirm.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X