This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York: Can my boss do that?

I'm 17 so bear with me if I sound like an idiot for asking this. I work as a cashier at an independent pharmacy and I was wondering if my employer is allowed to keep the excess money when my drawer is over but force me to pay the difference when it is under. I asked my mom, but she's litigious as it is and hates my boss, so I'm not sure if she's right in saying he can't.

Generally speaking, no. Are they deducting from your paycheck? Do you make minimum wage or not much more than that?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

They aren't taking it directly out of my paycheck, they just tell me I'm under and to get my wallet. The difference between my hourly pay and minimum wage is so insignificant it might as well be minimum wage.

Comment

OK, then file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor. Federal law prohibits any deduction from the employee's pay (and most states include in that, the "effect" of deducting from pay) which brings the employee below minimum wage or results in the employee not getting full overtime pay and which deduction is for the "employer's benefit". The law requires you receive at least minimum wage "free and clear".
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X