This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unclear about termination New York

1. Recently I had a new job title added which I don't like. I went in to discuss this new change with my boss - (was there anyone else who could do these tasks, could I split them with someone, etc) and ultimately he suggested that I leave the company. He then gave me a firm date upon which my job would be eliminated. I did not question this, I just said okay and walked out. Can I collect unemployment for that?

2. A few days later Mr. Boss sent me an email telling me he thinks my decision to leave the company is a smart move for my career. It was NOT my decision however - he gave me a date to leave and said that once I was gone they would just eliminate my position. Should I address the fact that he is saying it was MY decision to leave?

You left on your own after refusing work. Both disqualifiy you for UI in most cases. However file anyways and if denied appeal. You have nothing to lose
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Address it with whom?

Have you filed for unemployment benefits yet?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I have not filed yet, because I am still at my job. My boss has chose a day in June as my final day.

I did not refuse work. I was given new responsibilities and just went into Mr. Boss' office to address them. I NEVER suggested leaving and never gave any inclination that I wanted to leave the company. I just expressed my displeasure at the new tasks and wanted to know if something could be done. The next thing that was said was Mr. Boss telling me that I will leave the company (on a day in June that was of HIS choosing). There was no discussion about it on his end - he just told me when my last day would be. I was trying to discuss possible other options-he was not.

So, my first question was - does the above situation disqualify me from collecting.

and issue #2

Mr. Boss sent me an email saying that "he thinks my decision to leave on June 8" was a good one - however I see it as his decision, NOT mine. So my question is for this is, do I address this with my boss or just leave it alone and hope he doesn't contest when I file?

Thanks, and sorry if my questions seem ridiculous. This is my first job out of college and have had it for 2 years now and don't know anything about collecting unemployment.

Comment

1.) That will be entirely up to the state to decide.

2.) That's your decision to make.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I'd wait to hear what reason he actually gives you on your last day.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X