This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training New York

In New York state, do part-time employees need to be paid for mandatory training. We've had several mandatory trainings and meetings on weekends or after hours, but have been told we are not payed for these. Is there a law stating whether we need to be payed for our time or not, and who pays for the speaker to come train us?
    Thanks in advance for the help

These are to be counted as hours worked according to the FLSA

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Thank you, that's what I thought. I punched in, and my hours were taken off, without my being told.

Comment

I would tactfully speak to the employer about this, assertain why they think these hours need not be paid and see if you can correct this in house first before filing a wage claim.
        "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Thank you. I'm gonna talk to them. I think it was more of an issue of them not knowing the law on it, so they made their own choice.

Comment

Come back and let us know how it works out.

Comment

here we go again...

It has taken me a long time to talk to my boss, as I didn't know how to casually bring the topic up. I decided to ask today, because we have a staff meeting tomorrow (unpaid, as usual). I asked my boss if she knew that we were suppose to get paid for any mandatory training or meetings. Her response was "You do the training to keep your job". I thought it was kind of a harsh response. She also said that most daycare don't even pay for the training, she just does it to be nice. She is suppose to pay for both the training and our time, correct?

If the training is required by regulations, do they need to pay us? I work in a daycare and the state requires all registered daycare centers to have each employee complete a certain amount of hours of training each year (I don't know if the employer chooses all, or if there are some that are specified-like specific classes/topics). This is similar to teachers in public schools, as they are required to do a certain amount of hours of training each year. Since it is state mandated, do they have to pay for the training or pay for our time?

sorry, it's kind of a lot in one. Thank you in advance for any help.

She said she is going to call the place that does the training to find out-but they aren't going to know (they actually told me no when I called)-should I tell her she might want to try calling the labor dept? I think she realized after that she better find out for sure before I do so she won't get into trouble, which is a wise decision.

Comment

The time, yes, and you can file a claim with the state DOL if it is not paid. The COST of the training, no, there is no law that forces the employer pay for tuition, enrollment fees, books, etc.

The school isn't someone she should be counting on to tell her what time must and need not be paid under the FLSA. That's what the Dept. of Labor does; it interprets and enforces wage and hour laws.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X