This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time off between work shifts? New York

My Son is working for a non profit organization in a wage earner position. What is the minimal amount of time (Sleep time) that an employer is required to allow between shifts.

Example... He worked a 17 hour shift and was required to start his next shift 6 hours later.

Also... How many consecutive hours of work are allowed.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

There are no laws for general employment requiring any particular number of hours off between shifts. (Some exceptions apply in industries where there is a public safety factor such as airline pilots or truck drivers; also in some states for minors).

There are only two states which place any limits on the number of hours an employee can be asked to work in a week/pay period (no state limits the number of hours that can be required to work in a day) and NY is neither of them.

Sorry. I'm not saying I agree with working employees that hard; only that it is not illegal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

Working...
      X