This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a company do this?

I have been having conflicts with a subordinate at work and i was talking to my spouse about it at home and he came in to the work place and confronted my subordinate i know that i am responsible for the workplace while i am there however my boss told me that if my spouse were to confront this employee outside of my workplace i can be terminated and i am responsible for his actions. Can i be terminated for the actions of another person who isnt even employed and my workplace.

In the circumstances you're describing, you certainly can be.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I wouldn't have let it go this far.

If the spouse of an employee came into my workplace and confronted another employee... especially in a threatening way, I would have fired you on the spot.

I just don't put up with all that drama... and if your husband can't get control of his anger long enough to realize how inappropriate his behavior is, I will just take my company out of the equation.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Your husband is jeopardizing your job by his behavior.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The employer has a responsibility to protect employees. If you husband comes to threaten an employee over an issue with you, yes, you would be terminated here too.

That kind of behavior is not acceptable and if it is occuring due to an issue with you, you would be gone.
          Sorry but thats the way it is.
          I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It also does not speak highly of your managerial skills if you can not handle the problems with a subordinate without your husband intervening. It is your job to deal with subordinates, not his.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
            X