This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I responsible? New York

I work for a small company in Central New York. Our hours are from 9-6. Our boss has required that we show up for work by 8:45 to get ready for the day. If we show up earlier, I ( being the bookkeeper) am told only to pay people from 8:45 on, no matter what time they show up. Also, if they are later than 8:45, I am to dock them 1/2 hr pay. I am wondering if I can get into trouble for doing this.

You personally? No. The organization? Yes.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Non-Exempt employees are paid based on actual hours worked. An employer can terminate or otherwise legally disipline an employee for working unauthorized hours, but an employer cannot legally fail to pay Non-Exempt employees based on actual time worked.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
        You personally? No. The organization? Yes.
        While it is true that a payroll person is generally not a "legally responsible" person under law, it is not uncommon for management to later claim that any violations of the law were actions of a rouge payroll staffer and to terminate the staffer to support this position. CYA paperwork is certainly (IMO) in order.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
        X