This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hourly rate cut????? New York

Am I correct to beleive that the employer must in some way notify you that they are reducing your wages prior to paying you the new lower rate? I found out by opening my check on payday to find I was at a lower rate. My employer and I agreed upon my starting wage and 6 weeks later it's reduced by 25%.

Thanks

Yes you are correct; that is a requirement in New York. Were you EVER paid at the higher rate?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes I was paid at the higher rate for 6 consecutive weeks then without any notice either verbally or in writing on January 6, 2007 I opened my paycheck and it was for 25% less hourly than they were paying me previously.

Comment

First, verify with your company's payroll department that this was not some ministerial error. If not, query your boss why the pay reduction? Also advise him that such retroactive pay adjustments are not in accordance with the law. If all else fails you can file a wage claim with the New York State Department of Labor http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerp...t/lsdists.shtm
        Barry S. Phillips, CPA
        www.BarryPhillips.com

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: This response is intended to provide general information and written for educational purposes only. It does not establish a client relationship. This communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to any party any matters addressed herein.

Comment

I don't beleive it was a clerical error, because the owners have been playing games since day one. The first week I worked for them they lost my paperwork I filled out for payroll. So I had to wait another week to get paid. Then 2 weeks later I was paid straight time for 51 hours in one week. Now when I opened that paycheck which was for week-ending 12/31/06 my pay stub had a new year-to-date total for that paycheck. Should that amount have been considered as wages from 2006 not carried over to 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by tph65sr View Post
            I opened that paycheck which was for week-ending 12/31/06 my pay stub had a new year-to-date total for that paycheck. Should that amount have been considered as wages from 2006 not carried over to 2007.
            No. It is highly unlikely that a company would pay you the same day as the end of the pay period.

The pay period ended in 2006, but you got paid in 2007. That is normal and acceptable.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
              No. It is highly unlikely that a company would pay you the same day as the end of the pay period.

The pay period ended in 2006, but you got paid in 2007. That is normal and acceptable.
              Your right the pay period was in 2006 and the check was dated for 1/5/07. So I've learned something today.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X