X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bertimus
    started a topic Maximum days legal to mandate New York

Maximum days legal to mandate New York

Ok here's the deal, i work for a canning factory, i have been told that in new york the law says an employer can make you work 13 days before giving you a day off, i have also been told that an employer can make you work 20 days before 1 day off if dealing with perishable goods. i have worked in a canning factory before and have observed this to be common practice, my problem is that now i am working in the case and label area of the factory, where we no longer deal with the problem of the goods being considered "perishable" as they are allready canned (some of the items were canned a year or more ago), but i am being asked to work this sunday and it will be my fourteenth day in a row, and next week is fully scheduled also making it 20 days of work before i get 1 day off. I wanted to know if this is legal? perhaps some loophole because they also work with perishable goods at certain times of the year. If someone could get back to me soon on this i would be very appreciative.

• ScottB
    replied
    There is a NY law that requires one day of rest in each calendar week, which would mean a maximum of twelve consecutive workdays.

https://www.labor.state.ny.us/formsdocs/wp/LS611.pdf

However, note there is an exception for companies engaged in continuous industrial or manufacturing operations, if the employees don't work more than eight hours in a calendar day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X