Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I qualify for unemployment in New York?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I qualify for unemployment in New York?

I was recently let go or discharged from my job for "not meeting my employer's requirements or performing up to standard." Its not like I didn't try hard or anything, I just wasn't up to par. Am I going to qualify for unemployment in NY? I've heard that you don't get benefits if you're fired for cause. Is that what happened to me?

You were not fired for cause. You were fired for poor performance. For cause would be for inappropriate behavior at work. Poor performance is a whole different animal.

Unless you have left something major out of your post I don't see any reason why you shouldn't qualify. But the only way to find out for certain is to apply. There's no penalty for being wrong and it only costs a stamp or a phone call.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by son287
      I was recently let go or discharged from my job for "not meeting my employer's requirements or performing up to standard."
      If this was written in your termination letter, then I too would find it very surprising if you had trouble collecting unemployment. If there is no written documentation, then you must hope the employer repeats the same reasoning when the DOL inquires why you were separated. Do you have any reason to believe they would say something other than what you have offered?

Comment

Working...
      X